Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Planking in the Middle of the World. HAHA! #Planking

Last Sunday I went to the Middle of the World Monument (the fake one so I hear).  I went to the museum and checked out all the stores selling souvenirs.  It was good times.  If you go to Ecuador this is a must see destination.  Being in the Middle of the World is an amazing experience and a definite on your to do list if you come here.

the Museum inside the monument features historical break downs of all of the various indigenous cultures that live here within Ecuador's borders.  It is well worth the entrance fee of $3.00.  I was with my wife's cousins Patricio and Janette (I hope I spelled her name correctly if not please tell me) and we were acting quite foolish so I decided to "Plank" The Middle of the World!

I think I was the first person to ever go Planking in the Middle of the World (vigorous Google search to determine this) so I hereby release the photos (credits to Patricio Garzon for taking).




There it is!  The first Planking of the Middle of the World!  I had to do another where my body was lined up with the Equator so here that is (also compliments of Patricio Garzon).



Patricio also planked the Middle of the World but I don't know if his plank officially counts because he was not face down.  If it doesn't count please leave a comment so I know he needs to get his ass back down here and do it right!


Good times I tell you.

By the way, there is a proposal to build the WORLDS TALLEST Building here in the Middle of the World.  When I was inside the current monument museum they had this model of the project on display:


It is supposed to be twice as tall at the world's current tallest in Dubai and cost $200,000,000 to build.  We will see if this actually happens.  I have my doubts but apparently it is a private investor looking to have this built.  I re posted an article about this on my blog so dig deeper if your interested.  


We also visited the Panecillo with them and got to enjoy a panoramic view of Quito from the top of this monument dedicated to the Virgin Panecillo.

Guess what, you can go inside this one also!  at the top you can see all of the Quito and this one is also worth the $1.00 it takes to get in.

I took a panoramic shot myself to share with you all but it is mega miniature because I don't want to make my whole blog 8 feet long on your screen. 


 Now that there is going to be no airport in the middle of the city and the height restrictions are lifted, I can imagine this skyline shot will be full of skyscrapers in 20 years. 

This was a great day full of amazing sites sounds and food!  I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant we went to because it was delicious.  But most importantly it was a day where I got to spend time with two people who made a big impact on my life here in Ecuador.  Patricio and Janette.  Thanks for all the fun times!


Mike




2 comments:

  1. Wow, I definitely want to go to these places when I come. I am liking your blog. It will be me "To Do" list when I come for places to go and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know when you are here and I will make sure we can show you all the best places to visit in Ecuador!

    Mike-
    Themiddleoftheworld@gmail.com
    www.themiddleoftheworld.com

    ReplyDelete